Recovery and Perspective
I haven’t posted in awhile, so this will be long.
Spring was busy, and summer has been too with travel, kids and rock climbing:
I recently traveled cross country and saw people who have seen me since my accident but don’t see me daily or even yearly. I work hard every day in my recovery, but it’s sometimes hard to see my own progress. I previously used a wheelchair exclusively and now walk with a hiking stick from REI. I went from not being alone for even an hour to spending nights alone. But, is easy to lose sight of how far I’ve come over the last decade.
it's
People who see me infrequently tend to comment on how much improvement they see. This happened a few weeks ago when I saw people who have seen me roughly once a year in the ten years since my accident. I see the trajectory, but they see bigger leaps that I don't give myself credit for. It’s hard to see your own improvement over the last decade.
My birthday is next week. This is 49, so it’s the perfect time to set new and concrete goals I can reach before I turn 50 next year!
So, going forward, I'll consistently log 6000 steps per day. I hit this sometimes and sometimes exceed it, but I can reach it consistently either outside or on my at home treadmill. I can make the time. I know it’s less than the recommended 10,00 daily steps, but it’s one step at a time, literally.
I also want to read sixty minutes a day. I think picking a dedicated time and space in my house is the best way to set myself up for success.
I
Comments
Post a Comment